Tuesday, September 27, 2016

#DearDoctor campaign

Dear Nurse,

I had just had my baby. I went into labor before my scheduled c-section and my hospital I was supposed to deliver at was full.  So there I was at a hospital 30 minutes away from home, totally unprepared.  "What a beautiful baby boy, he's perfect and He's the most beautiful baby I had ever seen", are the words you said at least once to me.  I still remember your words two years later.  I do remember thinking that you must have seen hundred of babies through labor and delivery, do you say that to all the new babies?  But I think you saw my babies diagnosis before anyone else did.    And you're right, he did turn out to be perfect.  Your kindness will always be remembered in our journey.

From
Ronin's Mom



Many families who have had birth diagnosis's do not have pleasant experiences at all.
My birth diagnosis was fortunately overall pleasant.  The pediatrician that thought he had Down syndrome did say he was sorry but I don't think because he had Down syndrome. He saw a woman crying hysterically,  and was sorry that he had to deliver such shocking news.  He wasn't even sure he had Down syndrome as he only showed some signs so he said he might not even have it.  I tried to convince myself that he didn't have it.  I looked at him and saw he had Down syndrome then closed my eyes, looked again and it didn't look like he had it.  Waiting for the test results felt like an eternity and we got the results back from a grumpy old nurse that said " The test came back positive, i'm sorry" That nurse sucked at delivering the news but maybe she is better at changing bed pans?

The best part of my diagnosis was that the head ER nurse had a son with Down syndrome. They asked me if I wanted to meet him.  Why not I thought.  Who would know better than another parent.  So i met him and he was wonderful. He answered all my questions and when I told him that God made him perfect he started crying, which made me start crying.  He even called up his wife so I could talk with her.  It really made our stay encouraging.  We stayed a week and after a clean bill of health, we got to take Ronin home!

Everything happens for a reason. Maybe there was a reason why all these women went into labor in my area?  I am not sure we would have had such a pleasant experience elsewhere and we ended up exactly where we needed to be that night.  I know I had someone up above looking out for me and my family. I pray other families will get the respect and kindness I received during his diagnosis.


No comments:

Post a Comment